Ep 95: The Fastest Way to Improve Your Squat
Are you looking to improve your squat? Joining me on the show today is the one and only Lance Goyke. With Lance being very passionate about the anatomy and biomechanics behind the squat, I wanted to have him on to unpack the #1 problem we continuously see holding back our athletes’ squats. There is an education piece that has been misconstrued in the fitness population, and it comes down to understanding the difference between the squat as a movement pattern and the squat as a performance metric.
We start the episode off by diving into the history behind the coaching of the knees out and butt back squat and why this cue might not be the most attainable for you and your goals. On the other hand, those who want to be a low bar squatter and compete in powerlifting are taken out of this equation because it’s one of the only exceptions where squatting with your knees out and butt back makes the most sense. Lance and I then dive into what you should look for in a squat in order to achieve the “perfect squat”. We unpack different strategies and tactics you can use to break away from this never-ending cycle of incorrect technique. Be sure to listen in as Lance and I share how to quickly improve your squat pattern so you can squat big weight, pain-free.
What You'll Learn in This Episode:
- [05:59] The history behind the knees out, sit back phenomenon
- [11:20] When knees out and sitting back in your squat makes the most sense
- [14:10] The difference between the squat as a movement pattern and the squat as a performance metric.
- [16:02] What to look for in a squat
- [18:32] Why your muscles are overactive
- [19:46] The “perfect squat”
- [28:21] The distinction between health and performance
- [29:56] Best way to Improve the squat as a movement pattern
- [36:55] The squat in the phone booth concept
- [40:17] The carryover effect
- [42:09] Breaking the cycle of incorrect technique
- [44:47] Best squat cues to give
- Explore our free training samples here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/training-templates/
- Check out the Pyramid Method in the shop here: https://shop.rebel-performance.com/collections/pain-free-performance/products/lance-goyke-the-pyramid-method
- Follow James Cerbie here: https://www.instagram.com/jamescerbie/
- Follow Lance Goyke here: https://www.instagram.com/lancegoyke/
- Learn more about force production in my episode with Ty Terrell: https://www.rebel-performance.com/how-to-use-velocity-based-training-to-become-a-more-powerful-athlete-ty-terrell/
- Want to learn more about the Rebel Performance Training Team? Click here to chat with our team: http://m.me/rebelperf
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team. Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.