On the show today, I have a few of the fellow RP Coaches back in action, Keiran Halton, Ryan Patrick and Ryan L’Ecuyer. The intent of today’s discussion is whether or not you should go overhead and the qualifications for doing so. For those who do want to go overhead, we share strategies and tactics to get there, while also continuing to maintain the correct body position you need. Your body is not going to stop you from doing a move you want to do because it doesn’t have the ability to do it; it is going to find a way regardless, even if that requires compensation.
We dive deep into why the ribs play an important role in getting overhead. I share the analogy, “The ribs for the shoulder blade are like the floor for your feet.” Ryan L’Ecuyer then goes into the hypertrophy standpoint of going overhead and the challenges coaches face in the shoulder flexion improvement process and why landmine pressing and angled cable rows are a great strategy to get to that next level.
Listen in as the coaches and I discuss instilling overhead exposure at an early age and how shoulder mobility will likely come easier moving forward in future training. Ryan Patrick shares his tactic on using unilateral movements as a tool to get somebody overhead by driving rotation and restoring mechanics.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- [06:30] The right way to test shoulder flexion
- [13:45] Why the ribs are so important in getting overhead
- [17:03] Going overhead from a hypertrophy standpoint
- [23:16] Exercises that allow you to feel your shoulder blades
- [26:15] Stacked position and shoulder movement
- [30:00] Instilling overhead exposure at a young age
- Follow Ryan Patrick here: https://www.instagram.com/coachryanpatrick/
- Follow Ryan L’Ecuyer here: https://www.instagram.com/lacurefit/
- Follow Keiran Halton here: https://www.instagram.com/halton_performance/
- Explore the recommended resources here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/free-resources/
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team. Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.