RPR Episode 8: Lance Goyke
Lance Goyke, the modern-day renaissance man, joins the show today to talk about generalists, learning and his path to finding a smarter way to train. As someone who shares Lance’s interest as an education junkie, it’s always nice hearing how he approaches the learning process and aggregation of information. While not the sexiest of topics, learning how to learn is the key to being successful in any endeavor, and strength and conditioning is no exception. The athletes and coaches who can learn the best tend to win. Period.
After learning talk, we dive into the more nuts and bolts of training. In particular, we talk about movement, something Lance knows quite a lot about, and how he’s currently structuring training for his clients. This includes cycles that focus on strength, cycles that focus on hypertrophy, and cycles that focus on cardiovascular gains. Don’t worry, we get into what each of those looks like.
On the tail end of the episode, we get into some Lance’s favorite resources and bond about how much of a man-crush we have on Seth Godin.
Enjoy the episode and hit that subscribe button if you enjoyed listening.
2:30 – Lance’s background as a coach and his foray into powerlifting
9:15 – Lance’s realization that he needed to find a smarter “training” answer
12:30 – Range and generalists
19:30 – Lance’s continuing education strategy
26:45 – Aggregating and internalizing information
35:00 – The #1 thing I am prioritizing is logistics
40:00 – Strength vs. Hypertrophy vs. Cardiovascular training
45:00 – Escalating density training
50:00 – Injuries and working with people in pain
55:00 – Understanding the consequences of your training decisions
Links and stuff:
· Lance Goyke: https://lancegoyke.com/
· The Movement Seminar: https://themovementseminar.com/
· James Cerbie: @jamescerbie
· TRAIN: https://train.rebel-performance.com/
· Silverback: https://www.silverbacktrainingproject.com/
· Rebel Performance: https://www.rebel-performance.com/
· The AltMBA: https://altmba.com/
· The Marketing Seminar: https://themarketingseminar.com/
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team. Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.