Andrew Triana, a co-founder of The Performance Vibe and Allostatic Labs and world champion of vibing, joins the show today to talk about developing freaky humans. We kick things off getting into Andrew’s background and talk about how he found the sport of Strongman and why he fell in love with it. A strong theme throughout the episode is this notion of extremes bringing balance, and our conversation definitely speaks to that. One second we’ll be jamming on detailed cell physiology, and then the next we get into phenomenology and the importance of subjective experience.
Topics covered include Strongman, creatine, hypoxia, phenomenology, being authentically productive, hypertrophy, protein pathways, and all sorts of other goodies. If you’re an athlete or coach looking to up your game, then this episode is definitely for you. There's no chance you don't walk away with at least one way to upgrade your tactics, models, and thought processes.
3:00 – How Andy found Strongman
6:15 – How Kyle got into Strength and Conditioning
11:30 – If I’m a super freak and take last I’m cool with it
15:30 – Why did Andy start Allostatic Labs
19:00 – Thinking about Creatine based adaptations
22:30 – Phenomenology
26:30 – The importance of subjective questionnaires
30:00 – Using extremes to bring balance
31:00 – Hypoxia
38:30 – Hypertrophy pillars and protocols
45:00 – Metabolic stress vs. mechanical tension
58:00 – Things we can learn from Strongman that will help improve our athletes
1:02:30 – What are some of the biggest shifts in Andy’s thought processes over the past 1-2 years
Links and stuff:
· The Performance Vibe: https://www.theperformancevibe.com/
· Allostatic Labs: https://www.allostaticlabs.com/
· Andrew Triana: @andtriana
· James Cerbie: @jamescerbie
· TRAIN: https://train.rebel-performance.com/
· Silverback: https://www.silverbacktrainingproject.com/
· Rebel Performance: https://www.rebel-performance.com/
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team. Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.