Joining me on the show today is, Ty Terrell, a good friend of mine and strength coach for the Atlanta Hawks. Ty’s career path put him in an environment where he was surrounded by colleagues and community who would challenge each other to further their education and experience in their studies. Ty’s drive to learn more about the why’s behind strength training encouraged his passion in understanding what impacts performance.
Our intent for today’s discussion is to unpack velocity based training and how to use it to become a more powerful athlete. We discuss the necessity of strength in order to generate force and understanding how quickly you can actually tap into that force pull, which is all dependent on velocity.
We do a deep dive into distinguishing yourself from being a kangaroo or a gorilla in the training world and how to train the two populations differently. Ty shares the two parts that go into this: understanding what type of athlete you are and knowing what your training is asking of you. He then dives into the idea that if the power that occurs in your countermovement jump is below 50%, it’s likely you are a gorilla. If it’s above 50%, you’re likely a kangaroo. Listen in as Ty explains the importance of where you start on the velocity curve and how to implement and execute velocity based training to succeed as an athlete.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- [04:00] An introduction to Ty Terrell
- [12:50] The force velocity curve and understanding what impacts performance
- [18:16] Distinguishing between being a kangaroo or a gorilla in the training world
- [20:10] Testing the power that occurs in your countermovement jump
- [30:45] The importance of where you start on the velocity curve
- [34:35] Implementing and executing VBT
- Follow Ty Terrell on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ty.terrell/
- Chat with our team here: https://bit.ly/2RWYEKW
- Explore the Free Training Samples here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/free-resources/
- Text REBELRADIO to 81493 to get 10% off your first program
- Text RPCOACHING to 81493 to join our next case study training group.
- Take the Rebel Performance Training Quiz to find the right program for you
- Get a coach that's dedicated to your success
- Take a course to become a better coach