As we wrap up the holiday season and close out our flashback series, we’re turning it all the way back to December of 2019 when we recorded with the great and powerful Steve Tripp, owner of The Top Strength Project in Providence, Rhode Island.
Steve brings TONS of under the bar experience and coaching hours to the table, and on top of that, he’s one of the most impressive strength athletes you’re ever going to find. The two of us unpack training methodologies, how to approach accessory work, the need to train your weaknesses, and the importance of falling in love with the process.
Besides actionable, nuts and bolts training advice, Steve and I also dive into mindset and how important it is to not let your ego get in your way. In particular, if you are a big fish in a small pond, then it’s time for a change. If you are the strongest person in the room, or the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.
This episode is one of my favorites I’ve ever recorded because it's ruthlessly practical, efficient and to the point regarding what you need to do to get stronger in the gym.
What You'll Learn in This Episode:
- [04:00] Steve’s entry into competitive strength sports
- [07:25] The Top Strength Project
- [10:00] Appreciating the overlap in different strength sports
- [12:00] Training at HIGH volumes
- [17:00] Books smarts and under the bar experience
- [22:30] What does training look like for Steve Tripp
- [27:30] Training your weaknesses
- [32:00] Accessory work, strength biases, and size biases
- [36:00] Steve’s go-to accessory moves to bring up the big 4
- [46:00] Using strength standards to objectively determine your weak points
- [51:30] RPE scales
- [56:00] To get optimal results it’s 100% everything
- Explore our free training samples here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/training-templates/
- Follow James Cerbie on IG here: https://www.instagram.com/jamescerbie/
- Follow Steve Tripp on IG here: https://www.instagram.com/strippcam/
- Follow The Top Strength Project on IG here: https://www.instagram.com/thetopstrengthproject/
- Want to learn more about the Rebel Performance Training Team? Click here to chat with our team: http://m.me/rebelperf
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 3 ways we can help you unlock total package strength, physique, and athleticism (without being in pain or getting beaten down by injuries).
1. Listen to the podcast.
We release a new episode every Sunday evening where we break down what to do in and outside the gym to help you become the total package (and perform pain-free) - Click here to listen.
2. Buy a pre-made program.
3. Claim your 90-day risk-free trial.
Want to work directly with me and my team to find your peak performance, train pain-free, and become a total package athlete in 90 days? Then reply "trial" to this email and I'll send you all the details. Oh, and here's a bunch of reviews if you want to know what real humans think of working with us.