The flashback series continues as we turn the clock back to November of 2020 with Dr. Mike T. Nelson and Dr. Tommy Wood. Mike T. Nelson, CSCS, CISSN, MSME, PhD is a fitness consultant with a passion for biomechanics, exercise physiology, and neurology. Dr. Tommy Wood is a Research assistant professor at the University of Washington in the Department of Pediatrics.
This episode is centered around one of my absolute favorite topics, the physiologic reserve (also known as the bioenergetic reserve). The main theme we tackle is that you have to stress the organism, not just for performance, but also for health, longevity and healthy aging. This episode was made for thinking athletes, and you will not walk away disappointed.
Listen in as Mike and Tommy discuss the concept of the physiologic headroom, applying stress to improve an athlete’s level of antifragility, and increasing cognitive control over your breathing.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- [02:25] A primer on the concept of the bioenergetic reserve
- [14:42] Increasing your physiologic flexibility
- [20:55] How the brain factors into improving physiologic reserve
- [27:06] Exercise versus recreation
- [33:16] What people get wrong regarding breathing
- [42:28] A primer on nasal breathing
- [51:24] Nasal breathing versus mouth breathing
- [58:14] Mike and Tommy’s parting advice
- Explore Dr. Mike’s website here: https://miketnelson.com/tag/flex-diet/
- Follow Dr. Mike on Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/drmiketnelson/
- Explore our free training samples here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/training-templates/
- Follow Dr. Tommy on Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/drtommywood/
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 3 ways we can help you unlock total package strength, physique, and athleticism (without being in pain or getting beaten down by injuries).
1. Listen to the podcast.
We release a new episode every Sunday evening where we break down what to do in and outside the gym to help you become the total package (and perform pain-free) - Click here to listen.
2. Buy a pre-made program.
3. Claim your no-risk trial.
Want to work directly with me and my team to find your peak performance, train pain-free, and become a total package athlete in 90 days? Then reply "trial" to this email and I'll send you all the details. Oh, and here's a bunch of reviews if you want to know what real humans think of working with us.