Today’s guest is Dr. Gabrielle Fundaro, CISSN, CHC. She is a Renaissance Periodization consultant, Monash low-FODMAP certified and ISSN-certified sport nutritionist, and ACE-certified health coach. Gabrielle graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Exercise, Sport and Health Education and a PhD in Human Nutrition, Foods, and Exercise at Virginia Tech. In this episode, she discusses her Comprehensive Coaching Model, through which she uses tools such as Motivational Interviewing (MI), among others, to affect positive change in the lives of athletes and other clients.
Gabrielle laments the prevalence of endless debates—which often take place online—in the sports nutrition world. In particular, there seems to be a lot of interest in short-term, performance-based, one-size-fits-all best practices, but a glaring lack of consensus on individualized long-term diets and weight-neutral approaches to health. Gabrielle asks: “How do we know what works? And how do we know for whom it works? And what does ‘works’ even mean? It’s very individual. What determines what will be most effective and minimally harmful to a person is based on the backdrop of that individual. It’s within the context of the individual.”
Listen in as Gabrielle shares the importance of gut health, habitualizing mindful eating, person-specific coach-client dynamics, giving your clients unconditional positive regard, and allowing them to provide informed consent.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- [08:29] The impetus behind Gabrielle’s Comprehensive Coaching Model
- [15:25] A primer on Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- [30:16] Lessons learned through applying the Comprehensive Coaching Model over the years
- [35:52] Evoking change in your client’s health habits by “appreciating the entire organism”
- [44:02] Acknowledging risk factors when engaging with clients
- [53:00] Dietary restraint versus energy restraint
Reach Out to Gabrielle Fundaro at:
- Apex Athlete Training Team
- Rebel Performance
- BOOK: Allostasis, Homeostasis, and the Costs of Physiological Adaptation
- BOOK: Coaching Athletes to Be Their Best: Motivational Interviewing in Sports
- Bridging the Gap with Comprehensive Coaching
- Shannon Beer on Instagram
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team. Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.