Do you struggle with knee pain in your training? Joining me on the show today is Dr. Jon Gardner, the Regional Director and Sports Physical Therapist at True Sports Physical Therapy. The knee is a tricky joint and when pain is present, it can be a huge setback in your training and even in your normal daily routine.
Most knee pain can be preventable, which is why I wanted Jon to sit down with me to unpack the tactics and strategies you should utilize to ensure you are pain-free. What a lot of this comes down to is focusing on what’s going on above the knee (at the hip) and below the knee (at the foot and ankle). Jon and I dive into a bird’-eye view of the hinge joint and how the hip, foot and ankle impact function and pain performance. We also discuss tips you can use to build ankle, foot, and calf strength, which will ultimately help strengthen your knees.
We then do a deep dive into how the hip complex contributes to knee pain and ways you can reclaim your range of motion in your hips. We then share a handful of exercises you can do to improve motion and control. In a lot of cases, many people are stuck managing pain symptoms instead of fixing the true underlying driver. So, listen in as Jon and I unpack what you need to do to build yourself bulletproof knees.
What You'll Learn in This Episode:
- [04:45] Intro to Dr. Jon Gardner
- [09:25] Bird's-eye view of the hinge joint
- [11:01] The layering effect
- [13:05] Tendinopathy type pain versus general PFPS
- [15:39] The hip, foot and ankle's impact on function and pain performance
- [18:25] Strategies you can use to build ankle, foot, and calf strength
- [21:43] Unstable surface training
- [27:35] How the hip complex contributes to knee pain
- [34:41] Reclaiming the range of motion in your hips
- [37:50] The impact of variations on split squats
- [41:10] Utilizing the step up to improve control
- [44:57] Where to find Dr. Jon Gardner
- Explore our free training samples here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/training-templates/
- Explore our free Performance Nutrition Manual here: https://bit.ly/34x0jKk
- Follow James Cerbie here: https://www.instagram.com/jamescerbie/
- Follow Dr. Jon Gardner here: https://www.instagram.com/dr.jongardner23/
- Check out True Sports Physical Therapy here: https://truesportsphysicaltherapy.com/
- Want to learn more about the Training Team? Chat with our team here: https://direct.lc.chat/13098984/
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team. Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.