Have you ever sat down and really thought about whether or not you should use Olympic lifts in your training? Joining me on the show today are a few of the Rebel coaches, Ryan Patrick, Lance Goyke and Keiran Halton. The crew and I chose a very controversial topic to discuss this week: should you be Olympic lifting in your training? Why or why not? In no way do we not appreciate Olympic lifts; they definitely have their place and provide such a strong lineage in our industry. We just believe there are far better and safer options you can choose while still getting the outcome you want.
We dive into the episode stating the populations we believe NEED Olympic lifts: those who are Olympic lifters, those who compete in CrossFit, those who genuinely enjoy Olympic lifts and have specific goals, and those who are college bound athletes whose programs will utilize these types of lifts. We discuss a handful of tools you can use to ensure your athletes see progress that also benefits their long-term development.
The crew then shares some examples of ways to generate power without Olympic lifts: resistance sprints, kettlebell swings, kettlebell cleans and kettlebell snatches. We talk all things Eastern Bloc, survival of the fittest, the overextension patterns, the use of carry variations, and power with the heavy versus the power with the light. Listen in to hear how you can become a more powerful athlete with maximum outcome and lower levels of complexity.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- [03:12] The populations that NEED Olympic lifts
- [06:55] Preparing high school athletes for college
- [09:01] Maximum outcome with lower levels of complexity
- [10:52] Utilizing VBT
- [11:41] Other options for generating power
- [13:15] Addressing force absorbance
- [21:19] Eastern Bloc and survival of the fittest
- [24:10] The overextension pattern
- [27:55] Olympic lifting alternatives
- [29:55] The strongman realm
- [33:01] The use of carry variations
- [38:15] Power with the heavy versus power with the light
- [41:00] Challenges with chasing more force
- [42:13] Repeatability
- Explore our free training samples here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/training-templates/
- Follow Ryan Patrick here: https://www.instagram.com/coachryanpatrick/
- Follow Keiran Halton here: https://www.instagram.com/halton_performance/
- Follow Lance Goyke here: https://www.instagram.com/lancegoyke/
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team. Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.