Do you know what things you need to be doing to get the physique you want? Joining me on the show this week is Jesse McMeekin, owner and founder of Adapt Performance, where he specializes in working with coaches, trainers and other high-level clients in training, education and mentorship. He and I sit down together to talk all things body composition, hypertrophy, getting jacked, and building the physique you want this summer.
We start the conversation off by sharing our tips and strategies for finding the right training structure and layout to understand and maintain stress complexity in your training. We share different protocols, rep schemes and program structures that will help drive hypertrophy and get you the body composition you are looking for. We then re-examine a handful of the industry’s sacred cows, one of them being barbells and why they are overrated.
We steer the conversation to the double progression method and the dopamine effect and how it gets you excited and always keeps you coming back for more. Listen in as we discuss programming effort, accountability and flexibility, training splits, and balancing complexity with simplicity. We then share why it’s important to gamify your programming, that way you can give your clients specific numbers to work with and try to beat.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- [05:17] Intro to Jesse McMeekin
- [08:15] Knowing how much stress you can handle
- [09:55] Training structure and layout
- [12:14] The importance of having fun in your training
- [13:41] Whole body day versus upper lower splits
- [15:43] The psychological wear and tear lower body training has on you
- [17:12] Why barbells are overrated
- [21:08] Understanding stress and complexity
- [24:06] Using accessory work as maintenance
- [26:32] Double progression method
- [28:24] Dopamine effect
- [35:41] The importance of gamification in your programming
- [39:54] Requisite work capacity and recovery
- Explore Adapt Performance here: https://www.adapt-performance.com/
- Follow Adapt Performance on Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/adapt.performance/
- Follow Jesse McMeekin on Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/jessemcmeekin/
- Explore our Free Training Samples here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/free-resources/
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team. Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.