On the show today, I have Patrick Estes, Co-Founder of Evolve Health & Performance, a collaborative effort between Aaron Davis and Patrick Estes to bring services (human performance, fitness, rehab, nutrition, and health management) commonly seen at Olympic training centers to the community of Austin, TX.
Patrick served as a strength and conditioning coach at several universities, including the University of Texas at Austin, the University of Denver and the University of Maryland.
We discuss the light bulb moments Patrick has experienced in his progression into exercise science, particularly with regard to structure, function, and bioenergetics. We spend a good chunk of our conversation on the underrated importance of breathing for better performance.
Patrick shares why a good breather is going to be able to put more miles on their car and what it means to “let your breathing dictate your movement.” He also explains why coaches should focus on helping their athletes recover faster, rather than simply performing better.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- [00:44] An introduction to Patrick
- [05:45] Light bulb moments for Patrick as he dove into the structure, function, bioenergetics realm
- [16:15] Replenishing and increasing ATP reserves, and the importance of breathing for better performance
- [23:36] How MMA fighters can benefit from mastering their breathing
- [28:15] How your respiratory system can limit your performance
- [38:25] How CrossFit athletes can up their game by letting their breathing dictate their movement
- [43:47] Why technology can never replace coaches
- Explore Evolve Health & Performance here: https://www.evolvehp.life/
- Follow Patrick Estes on Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/petrainingsolutions/?hl=en
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 4 ways we can help you find your peak performance (and live up to your true potential):
1. Get 21 FREE program samples. Tired of second-guessing and overthinking your training? CLICK HERE to get 5 months of free workouts to help you unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism.
2. Buy a pre-made program. Looking for an expertly crafted training program minus the coaching and camaraderie? Then GO HERE.
3. Join the Total Package Athlete Challenge. Want to work directly with me to hit a PR in your squat, bench, deadlift, vertical jump, broad jump, or 8-minute assault bike within the next 6 weeks? Then GO HERE.
4. Join the Rebel Performance Training Team. Want to work directly with me and my team to unlock total package performance, physique, and athleticism (so you can start living at your physical peak)? Then GO HERE.