Joining me on the show this week is the one and only, Dr. Jordan Shallow, also known as, the Muscle Doc. Jordan and I first connected back when we ran the online Human Performance Summit back in 2020, so this is a conversation long overdue. We hit on a handful of different topics, but the real meat and potatoes of the episode is our conversation surrounding powerlifting and hypertrophy training, and how the two feed off of each other nicely over the course of a periodized training plan.
We then do a deep dive into the quirky elements of human nature and how each have an impact on the training process. If you’re interested in learning how to build strength and put on muscle (while staying pain-free), this episode is for you.
What You'll Learn in this Episode:
- [00:53] Intro to Jordan Shallow
- [02:09] Where Jordan’s love for strength and conditioning and The Iron Games started
- [06:35] The glory days of T-Nation
- [09:43] Big rocks Jordan has carried with him in regard to how he approaches hypertrophy training
- [10:29] The importance behind having respect for fatigue and load management
- [13:00] When application meets theory in hypertrophy training
- [19:27] The need for people to believe in something
- [24:38] Social media and its effect on one’s attention span
- [28:16] Understanding your audience within the different social media platforms
- [30:22] How to manage the two worlds of bodybuilding and powerlifting
- [35:01] Why some people experience the inability to get stronger
- [36:50] The part of bodybuilding that often gets missed
- [38:21] Why you need the requisite work capacity so you can train at the volumes you want to train at
- [43:00] The things you did when you were in your teens and their effect on you today
- [47:22] Understanding the harder you cling to the science, the less personable you become
- [49:16] Where to find Jordan Shallow
- Explore our free training samples here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/training-templates/
- Follow James Cerbie here: https://www.instagram.com/jamescerbie/
- Follow Jordan Shallow here: https://www.instagram.com/the_muscle_doc/
- Check out Jordan’s website here: https://themuscledoc.com/
- Follow Rebel here: https://www.instagram.com/therebelperformance/
- Join our Rebel FB group here: https://bit.ly/3KfGk6A
- Want to learn more about the Rebel Performance Training Team? Click here to chat with our team: http://m.me/rebelperf
- Claim your 90-day risk-free trial to work with me and my team privately here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 3 ways we can help you unlock total package strength, physique, and athleticism (without being in pain or getting beaten down by injuries).
1. Listen to the podcast.
We release a new episode every Sunday evening where we break down what to do in and outside the gym to help you become the total package (and perform pain-free) - Click here to listen.
2. Join the RP Athlete Lounge
It's our new Facebook group where we show working professionals how to level up their strength, physique, and athleticism. - Click here.
3. Claim your 90-day risk-free trial to work with me and my team privately.
Want to work directly with me and my team to fast track your strength, physique, and performance gainz? Then go here to claim your 90-day no-risk trial: Click here.