On the show this week, myself and really good friend of mine, Bryce Astill, break down the ins and outs of ultramarathons and the psychology behind setting goals for yourself and truly finding your limits. Around five to eight years ago, you and I might have looked at an ultramarathon as absolutely bonkers. The idea of people actually running 100-to-250-mile races sounded insane. Well, fast-forward to today, and ultras are way more common than you might think. In fact, Bryce has completed numerous 100 to 200+ mile races at this point.
In the episode, Bryce and I unpack the human experience and the physical and mental limits that come with ultra running, the empowering reflection of hitting a dark wall and finding the capacity to come out the other side, strategies and tactics for approaching the unique challenges you're faced with when running and completing an ultra and understanding the preparation that goes into this type of race. This is a topic I’ve always been really curious to learn about, and hearing Bryce share his experience genuinely made this recording one of my favorites.
What You'll Learn in this Episode:
- [04:48] Background of Bryce Astill and how he got started running ultramarathons
- [12:58] Why curiosity was a huge driver for Bryce to start running
- [15:06] The empowering feeling of crossing the threshold of the unknown
- [16:25] Understanding the physical and mental limits that come with running ultramarathons
- [18:51] Why it doesn’t typically work out for the primarily ego-based runner
- [20:39] The powerful reflection you feel when you hit a dark wall and find the capacity to come out of it
- [21:28] Relying on something beyond the human body and mind in the midst of these races
- [23:28] Understanding the actual time it takes to complete a race
- [25:46] Strategies and tactics for approaching the unique challenges that come with running and completing a race
- [30:12] The psychological test of the aid station
- [34:24] How to manage sleep as an ultra-marathoner
- [37:36] The discovery of figuring out what works for you
- [39:58] What the preparation leading up to an ultramarathon looks like
- Explore our free training samples here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/training-templates/
- Follow James Cerbie here: https://www.instagram.com/jamescerbie/
- Follow Astill here: https://www.instagram.com/bryceastill/
- Follow Rebel here: https://www.instagram.com/therebelperformance/
- Join our Rebel FB group here: https://bit.ly/3KfGk6A
- Want to learn more about the Rebel Performance Training Team? Click here to chat with our team: http://m.me/rebelperf
- Claim your 90-day risk-free trial to work with me and my team privately here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 3 ways we can help you unlock total package strength, physique, and athleticism (without being in pain or getting beaten down by injuries).
1. Listen to the podcast.
We release a new episode every Sunday evening where we break down what to do in and outside the gym to help you become the total package (and perform pain-free) - Click here to listen.
2. Join the RP Athlete Lounge
It's our new Facebook group where we show working professionals how to level up their strength, physique, and athleticism. - Click here.
3. Claim your 90-day risk-free trial to work with me and my team privately.
Want to work directly with me and my team to fast track your strength, physique, and performance gainz? Then go here to claim your 90-day no-risk trial: Click here.