We're all aware of the internet carrying a plethora of polarized and poorly addressed topics, feet and shoes being one of them. One camp is shouting, “Be barefoot and a minimalist!” The other camp is screaming, “Wear your shoes for support!” And quite frankly, both sides stand their ground (pun intended) and have good points to be made.
This is why I wanted to bring on Coach Lance Goyke to sit down and have a well-rounded conversation surrounding your feet and what types of shoes you should be wearing because I can promise you your answer(s) will be context dependent. A few points we unpack are the foot and ankle joint and why it's the most complex joint in your body, different types of shoes and which may be best for you and your goals, and specific circumstances for when it's appropriate to be barefoot and when supported shoes might be more beneficial. Listen in as Lance and I lay out a handful of strategies to help with the strength and awareness of your feet and ways you can utilize them in your lifting.
What You'll Learn in this Episode:
- [05:59] Why the foot is the most complex joint in the body
- [10:15] The importance having 80 degrees of toe extension for maintaining mobility
- [15:06] Some of the most common places where things start to go wrong at the foot with relation to gait
- [17:11] Compression and how it can limit your mobility
- [18:01] How the joint position affects the way the joint works
- [19:03] Footwear’s purpose when talking about walking
- [21:22] Why you don’t want the middle of your foot to bend
- [22:39] Going through gait when in supination
- [24:28] Why running barefoot could be beneficial in certain circumstances
- [26:41] Potential consequences for those who are never barefoot
- [30:55] Specific circumstances you should get barefoot versus having support
- [33:17] An exercise to help with the strength and awareness of your feet
- [35:10] What’s getting in the way and limiting dorsiflexion in most people
- [37:49] Specific exercises to utilize for improving dorsiflexion
- [39:47] Special cases for those outside of the bell curve
- Explore our free training samples here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/training-templates/
- Follow James Cerbie here: https://www.instagram.com/jamescerbie/
- Follow Lance Goyke here: https://www.instagram.com/lancegoyke/
- Follow Rebel here: https://www.instagram.com/therebelperformance/
- Check out the bear walk video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJYlPBhWY5s
- Subscribe to Lance here: https://www.youtube.com/c/LanceGoyke
- Join our Rebel FB group here: https://bit.ly/3KfGk6A
- Want to learn more about the Rebel Performance Training Team? Click here to chat with our team: http://m.me/rebelperf
- Claim your 90-day risk-free trial to work with me and my team privately here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 3 ways we can help you unlock total package strength, physique, and athleticism (without being in pain or getting beaten down by injuries).
1. Listen to the podcast.
We release a new episode every Sunday evening where we break down what to do in and outside the gym to help you become the total package (and perform pain-free) - Click here to listen.
2. Join the RP Athlete Lounge
It's our new Facebook group where we show working professionals how to level up their strength, physique, and athleticism. - Click here.
3. Claim your 90-day risk-free trial to work with me and my team privately.
Want to work directly with me and my team to fast track your strength, physique, and performance gainz? Then go here to claim your 90-day no-risk trial: Click here.