Is stretching optimal? I haven’t been a huge fan of stretching for a long time. I think it makes sense in very particular use cases, but I believe there are better alternatives to improve movement. This is why I wanted to bring on my good friend and fellow Rebel Performance coach, Lance Goyke, to help answer a question we are both quite passionate about – is stretching dead?
We start the episode off by sharing why we have such strong opinions on this topic. As a former athlete, I was always told to stretch when I was feeling “tight”; however, it never made a difference. And sure enough, as soon as I stopped stretching and we stopped stretching our clients, injuries subsided, movement got better, and we alleviated more problems overall.
Lance and I unpack specific cases where we believe stretching does make sense, particularly when you are trying to reclaim your range of motion. We then do a deep dive into other approaches we can use to create meaningful movement change through exercise selection and periodization. Listen in as Lance and I lay out different tactics strategies that we use instead of stretching to improve joint range of motion.
What You'll Learn in This Episode:
- [05:38] Background on stretching
- [09:16] The main goal of stretching
- [12:20] What’s happening when your muscles feel “tight”
- [15:02] The problem with the sleeper stretch
- [16:20] Negative effects of stretching tight muscles
- [23:00] Optimal coverage of a joint
- [24:41] Where stretching makes sense
- [29:58] Posterior hip capsule stretching
- [33:01] Improving movement and range of motion through exercise selection and periodization
- [39:15] The need for dissociation of various joints in your body
- Explore our free training samples here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/training-templates/
- Follow James Cerbie on IG here: https://www.instagram.com/jamescerbie/
- Follow Lance Goyke on IG here: https://www.instagram.com/lancegoyke/
- Check Lance Goyke’s website here: https://lancegoyke.com/
- Claim your first month of training for $1 until December 31, 2021, here: https://www.rebel-performance.com/
- Want to learn more about the Rebel Performance Training Team? Click here to chat with our team: http://m.me/rebelperf
PLUS: Whenever you're ready... here are 3 ways we can help you unlock total package strength, physique, and athleticism (without being in pain or getting beaten down by injuries).
1. Listen to the podcast.
We release a new episode every Sunday evening where we break down what to do in and outside the gym to help you become the total package (and perform pain-free) - Click here to listen.
2. Buy a pre-made program.
3. Claim your 90-day risk-free trial.
Want to work directly with me and my team to find your peak performance, train pain-free, and become a total package athlete in 90 days? Then reply "trial" to this email and I'll send you all the details. Oh, and here's a bunch of reviews if you want to know what real humans think of working with us.